No.28 Gateacre Brow - A Brief History
Compiled for HERITAGE OPEN DAY 13th September 2014
No 28 Gateacre Brow is a stuccoed, two-storey shop and showroom, built before 1835 as a shop with living quarters behind and above. Although not a listed building, it is one of the older buildings within the Gateacre Village Conservation Area. The shell of the building survives intact, but it has undergone significant change internally, having been converted, circa 1890, from three storeys to two storeys with a new shopfront and first-floor front window inserted.
The illustrations above show how the building looked in 1881 and how it looks today. The watercolour, by Liverpool artist Hugh Magenis, was painted as a gift for Rebecca Ellinson, who was the daughter of local builder Joseph Ellinson and the step-granddaughter of Yorkshire-born saddler William Westwick (1814-1875) who had owned and occupied the building from about 1851 onwards. The present owner of the painting is Rebecca's great-granddaughter, Edwina Dorset, who has kindly allowed us to reproduce it as a reminder of the many happy hours which the grandchildren of Hannah Westwick (previously Turton) spent there.
Continued . . .