A BRIEF HISTORY OF GATEACRE
(continued)
from the Gateacre Society, Liverpool

GATEACRE
SOCIETY
Home Page




GATEACRE CHAT Message Board

The oldest buildings surviving in the village are probably Grange Lodge in Grange Lane (a house which retains some 17th century features), the Unitarian Chapel in Gateacre Brow (built in 1700 for an English Presbyterian congregation) and Paradise Row in Grange Lane (the original inhabitants of which, pre-1750, are thought to have been out-workers producing components for the Prescot watchmaking industry).

Around this small cluster of buildings stretched farmland and heathland, which during the nineteenth century proved attractive to wealthy individuals seeking a rural retreat from their everyday business in Liverpool, Warrington or Widnes.

(Above:)
GRANGE LODGE, Grange Lane

(Below:)
GATEACRE CHAPEL, Gateacre Brow

Continued . . .

Next page          Previous page          Home page          Contact us

Page created 14 August 2005 by MRC, last updated 18 June 2007