SANDFIELD ROAD Architectural Description (continued)
(Former) Joiners Shop (opposite Chapel Hall) 1890, by Messrs Rimmer for their own use.
MANWEB Electricity Substation (near Chapel Hall) built 1965.
Former Stable Block in Dale Mews: built for Thos. Rodick in 2 parts, first (East end) 1835-40, second (West) 1840-45 (?); in mellow local brick with stone dressings; slate roof with gable copings and square stone lead lined gutters (c.f. Nos 8 & 9); East end is now 'Browside Cottage' & has, visible from Sandfield Road, architectural features including (formerly) a round-headed sash window with glazing bars. Working west along block, first Coach House with arched doorway (blocked), next a stable entrance with stone canopy (missing) all with hayloft over. In newer block, no use is recorded for the next compartment, but west again was Harness Room, and finally a second Coach House of which the original wooden doors survive. Above this the accommodation has been in domestic use for a long time.
Nos 1 & 3: Pair (?) built before 1840, demolished 1950s, Photos ?
Nos 5 & 7: Pair; built c.1840, mellow local brick; slate roof; square stone lead lined gutter; cottages in course of rehabilitation; note satisfactory appearance of re-use of old brick, c.f. good, but not so satisfactory, windows.
Nos 9 & 11: Pair; built before 1840; mellow local brick; slate roof with 'ogee' cast iron gutter; one small paned slide-across window survives in No.11.
We hope you will come for another walk next year!
©The Gateacre Society